Sunday, May 20, 2007

In Medias Res # 25: The Upside of Unemployment

Ok, so there is an obvious monetary downside to how much time I will be without a paycheck (two months, in case you were keeping tallies). In that time I need to move (and pay movers), eat, set up an apartment (including utilities) and keep myself from going insane with boredom. That said, there are some really nice consequences of not having a job.

  1. I can sleep as late as I want
  2. I can stay up as late as I want
  3. I am reading about a book a day. Sometimes more.
  4. I have time to cook complex satisfying healthy meals. Yesterday I tried a salmon recipe that took four hours. But it came out amazing and was completely worth it (I’m also saving insane amounts of money by eating every meal at home).
  5. I have time to catch up on all the stupid movies I’ve missed in the last two years. Seriously, before unemployment I didn’t even know who Amanda Bynes was!
  6. I have read every issue of the New Yorker that was published this year.
  7. My i-pod is always charged when I go for a run.
  8. My laundry is clean, put away and folded nicely. I have no half unpacked luggage lying around.
  9. My bed gets made every day.

Were it not for the lack of money I think I could really learn to love unemployment. Now admittedly I do find myself occasionally bored, and I have been jotting down work ideas in a notebook for the past few weeks, so I’m clearly restless and ready to start work. Next week I really have to get down to the nitty gritty of packing, and I’m sure the actual moving process will be stressful. But these last two weeks of blissful nothing have been pretty spectacular. I highly recommend it, if you can swing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home