Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In Medias Res #21- Something wicked (awesome) this way comes

I’m going to avoid the melodrama. I got a job. And it is THE job. It’s exactly the area of the field I want to work in (and these jobs are few and far between) and it’s on the campus that I wanted. I’ve got a new city to explore, and an apartment to find, but damn I feel good.

So here’s what happened: I got an offer from my number two institution at the beginning of the week, so I called institution number one back and updated them on my search. They promised to get back to me soon. The next morning I slumped around the office, cranky and stressed. I hate waiting more than anything. That afternoon I got two offers at the same institution and I accepted THE job. I still need to negotiate salary and all that fun stuff (apparently there’s some online HR behavior inventory I need to take), but the job is mine! Its mine!

The really exciting thing about the position is I get to maintain and leverage a lot of professional acquaintances I have made in the last two years through networking. Although I was also looking at residence life I have made a lot more efforts in the last two years to expand my diversity education skill set through professional development. I have met a number of really great professionals and in my new capacity I will get to work with them a great deal more. I certainly could have continued that work in Residence Life, but for that to be my work is exciting.

I also get to shape and set the agenda for a completely new program. I'm not only using my skills and knowledge in this position, I'm using my vision.

Whatever the case I’m feeling good. The hunt is over, dear reader. No more shitty phone interviews with half interested people. No more long laborious on campus visits that feel more like a marathon than an interview. Sure I’m nervous about moving, making new friends, starting a brand new job. But the worst part is over. I think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home