Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Pick Me-Choose Me-Hire Me #23- Dreams

We convince ourselves it's better that we never dream at all. But, the strongest of us, the most determined of us, holds on to the dream or we find ourselves faced with a fresh dream we never considered. We wake to find ourselves, against all odds, feeling hopeful. And, if we're lucky, we realize in the face of everything, in the face of life the true dream is being able to dream at all. ~Meredith Grey


In the past week, I graduated with my Master's degree, closed a building, bid farewell to my amazing staff of RAs, and have already said goodbye to one of my closest friends in grad school. What else has happened over the weekend?

I ACCEPTED A JOB OFFER!


Unlike the last time I proclaimed this statement, this time it is actually true. I got back from my graduation ceremony and found the red light of my voicemail lit up on my phone. For some reason that I still don't understand, I decided to check it even though under normal circumstances I would have waited until the work week started again. I had a message from my #1 Dream School (you know, the one I've been going on and on about for the past few posts) that said that they would like me to call them back. I immediately did so and they offered me the job on the spot, which technically means I had a job before graduation! Now, I had planned to play it cool and try to negotiate some additional terms (even though all of the benefits and salary had already exceeded my expectations), but I was so damn happy I said yes right away. I can't say that I'm surprised that I did this though, because I have had my heart set on this position for almost half the year.

When I walked on campus, I absolutely felt at home. People have been asking me what about the school I like so much and it has been difficult to explain. There isn't one thing or two things that sold it for me, but it was how valued I felt when I was on campus. I had the same experience when I visited my undergrad institution for the first time. It is hard to describe, but you just know that it is going to be a good fit. Also, I did some additional research on some of the details of their health benefits and they have full benefits for domestic partner's and their children. This was something that I wanted a school to have because as a LGBTQ ally, I wanted to be at an institution that valued equal benefits. I didn't think that this school would offer these benefits due to the religious affiliation, but I was totally wrong. Yet another reason why I am going to like this place!

I realize that my first job won't be a walk in the park, especially since I am moving all the way across the country, but I know deep down that this institution will be good for me as a person and as a professional. I have no doubt that I will be challenged and offered experiences in areas that I am not familiar with as a grad student. I know that the surrounding community will offer tons of opportunity for fun and personal balance. I know that the students that I work with will make me a better professional. And most of all, I know that I will be happy.

As I look back through my posts, it is hard for me to put into words what this job search has been like for me. I have definitely had a love-hate relationship with the entire process. I loved the rush of adrenaline after reading a job description for the "perfect job." I loved going online and figuring out what the surrounding community was like and how I could see myself there. I loved telling my friends about the details of the position and already making plans to visit each other at our hypothetical perfect institutions.

However, at the same time, I hated the job search. I hated that it was the automatic way to procrastinate my last year as a grad student. I do not even want to think about how many hours I spent researching schools, applying online, or putting together information packets for the Joint Conference. I hated how much money I spent on ACPA/NASPA, dry cleaning, postage for thank-you cards and buying flights for two on-campus interviews. I hated how there was an undercurrent of competition between my cohort members when we are in a helping profession. I hated the feelings of inadequacy and incompetency that the job search thrust into the light.

Although the job search both drained and energized me, I could not be happier with where I am now. I get to stay at my school for a few more weeks, drive cross-country with my best friend, and start a new life at my dream school. Overall, I couldn't ask for anything more than where I am now.

Thank you for sticking with me dear readers and I look forward to updating you on the craziness of a cross-country move!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home