Saturday, April 28, 2007

In medias Res #21.2- Talk amongst yourselves

I am graduating in T-minus uh…soon. So I’m just going to throw some brief thoughts out there. Talk amongst yourselves.

-Looking for apartments is fun. For some reason I thought if I called a property manager they would take me around show me all the units their firm owns. I guess that’s more of a real estate agent thing, though? Like if I were buying a property? Admittedly I have only really leased two apartments in my life: one over the internet for grad school and the one I live in now through a friend of my boss. Otherwise I’ve always sublet. So this is relatively new to me. Fortunately my brother and my dad both work in real estate and so they are giving me a mini crash course on how to find the best place and get the best deal.

-I’ve been reading a lot of commentary about the response to the Virginia Tech shootings. An interesting strain of criticism seems to be that the response from higher ed institutions is insincere or disproportionate. Especially this situation at University of North Colorado which is just absurd. We’re having conversations at my institution, but I don’t see any sort of response in terms of critical consciousness regarding the issues at play (i.e. gender socialization, mental health, and critical discussions about violence). I see a lot of people acting and thinking out of pain which is really unproductive.

-How much of my work should I actually take with me? A lot of this stuff is digital and so I can bring it on a flash drive, but do people regret not taking more of the resources they produced in their assistantships? I have created a lot of paper output since I’ve been in grad school and the thought of hauling all that crap to the next job seems daunting.

Just some things to discuss. Begin the discourse dear reader!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home