Monday, March 12, 2007

In Medias Res # 11: We make money like Fred Astaire

Ok, that title has nothing to do with anything. I've just been listening to a lot of Interpol lately.


This post was originally titled, “Bad things happen in threes” because there was a series of upcoming events that I wanted to address and they were all sort of grouped in threes. But this morning I scheduled two more phone interviews and two more ACPA/NASPA interviews so that title is no longer apropos. That said, let’s just get on with the updates.

I can not even pretend that I really feel like a student anymore. Especially with the reduced class load, and the fact that I have missed one course twice already for job interviews, school is the last thing on my mind. This is probably bad because I have my defense coming up, but I do feel as if I could sleep walk through that at this point. No, dear reader, I now feel like I’m job searching full time and school/work are hobbies I fit in around that. This is in large part because starting last week, and basically through the end of March I am traveling. OPE, three (!) campus interviews, and then the Joint Conference have come down the pipeline in rapid succession. The nice young man at the dry cleaner’s knows my face and my favorite blue suit very well. One of the main reasons I am hoping for an offer before NASPA/ACPA would be to cancel my interviews and use that time in Orlando as a freaking vacation! I’m going to need it.

The campus interviews have really slowed down my progress on the initial application front. I admit I will be very disappointed if one of these three interviews does not turn into a position. Some of the OPE schools have made it clear that they are pursuing my candidacy, while others I think are on a slower time table because of NASPA/ACPA. One school had the courtesy (discourtesy?) to contact me directly to let me know I would not be getting a campus interview. Thanks?

Ever since I got invited to the first campus I have been trying to tell only a limited number of people about my interviews. This became difficult since I had to miss class, and since grad school has that small hermetic hot house atmosphere where word travels fast. I wasn’t telling people because to a certain extant I think I will be embarrassed if I don’t get any of these jobs. As the date approached though, my excitement couldn’t be contained. I told lots of people and now I can very easily see myself doing damage control in three weeks when I have no job and few prospects.

The first on-campus was a whirlwind. Interview after interview, and by the end of the day I just felt like I had nothing relevant left to say. Have you ever been on a campus interview? Did you feel the need to constantly be ‘on’? There were certainly some instances where I found myself saying what I thought people wanted to hear. This wasn’t so much me being dishonest as me, y’know trying to get a job. I did really enjoy meeting with the students and getting an idea of how the school worked (I am getting a degree in higher education after all. I should be a little bit interested). At the end of it all as I packed up my luggage and thought back on the day I could not really get a sense of perspective. Had I done well? Was I ingratiating? Could they see me in the position?

I won’t know the answer to those questions for a couple of weeks. They have some more candidates to meet with, and I have another interview to go on this week. Everyone keeps asking me, “In Medias Res, what would you choose if all three positions get offered to you?” When people ask that I say two things in response: 1) I won’t know until I’ve been to each campus. 2) There’s a snowball’s chance in hell that’s gonna happen. So stop asking that question.

Rereading this post I know it sounds more self loathing then I mean it to. I’m actually feeling pretty good. There’s a good possibility that I might have a job soon. All of the leads are at schools that I would be proud and excited to work at. After my first on-campus I know I’m at least competent and marketable, and honestly the possibility that this is the home stretch? That’s damn exciting!

Briefly, I’m going to get on a soapbox: one of the other bloggers took the time out to inform prospective graduate students that they should respond to all emails they get from potential employers. I’m not sure if her remarks included just general solicitation emails or some more specific form of communication. It never occurred to me especially when I was getting the deluge of OPE requests to look at your school that you expected me to reply. Especially when you don’t address the email to me, or make the message in anyway stand out from a mass email. I don’t usually respond to spam (I know it’s probably a horrible thing to compare being contacted by a school to spam, but in a lot of cases that’s what it felt like. And that’s the edgy sort of commentary you come here for.) So here’s a thought: I do read the email-if you would like to me indicate my interest either way put that in the email. And I will gladly reply. Alright dear readers! I’m off on another world wind adventure. I will update you at my earliest convenience, which is unfortunate as nothing about my future appears convenient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home