Monday, March 05, 2007

In Medias Res #10- OPE is a beast that will not die

Whoa-Joey Lawrence, on TV’s Blossom

I figured I’d steal a page from my co-blogger’s play book and use a classic TV moment to frame my discussion. Seriously, after Oshkosh that’s exactly how I feel. Have any of you, dear readers, been through the gauntlet before? It is alternately maddening, frightening, energizing, fun, and ridiculous. For those who have no idea what I’m talking about OPE is a placement exchange that happens every year in Oshkosh, Wisconsin primarily for Residence Life departments. There are other regional placements, but OPE is supposedly the biggest and it is truly a national exchange.
I had a decent number of interviews going in, and just as I was told would happen schools offered me more once I got there. I found myself being picky, however, and so I only added one interview (and it was with a school that I contacted after reading their materials). Now, a day out and miles and miles away I sort of appreciate how much fun the whole thing was. It was great to connect with lots of people passionate about Student Affairs away from a traditional conference setting. Most of my interviews I really enjoyed, some I didn’t care for at all, but the process certainly helped me hone my message for future interviews. I also feel much more comfortable about transitioning back into Residence Life, and I have a much clearer set of expectations for what I want in a position/institution.
Three interviews went gangbusters, and one of those schools I really expect to turn into an on campus. That might not sound like a lot, but it only takes one offer. Similarly there were lots of campuses that I met with who were just not the right fit, and I’m glad that I know that now!
So for those of you who will be making the pilgrimage next year (or for curious employers or other candidates) here’s a breakdown of OPE from my perspective:

The Good Stuff:
· Everybody at OPE wants you to succeed
· Employers are actually excited to talk to you
· All the socials have food. Yay free food for broke grad students!
· Unlike ACPA/NASPA you don’t feel like you’re missing out on anything by being in interviews all day.
· You get lots of surprises, gifts, and candy in your mailbox. Yay free stuff for broke graduate students!
· Overwhelmingly people are extroverts and they want to make you comfortable.
· You get to wear a tie (ok, that’s my own personal preference).
· People will always talk to you in the waiting rooms. You can learn a lot about the field just by chatting with your neighbor. Sometimes people will even clap as you head into your interview.
· Free food, clothes, bags, jump drives, fans (anything you can slap a logo on). Sorry, but the free stuff was pretty phenomenal.
· You will be a professional interviewer by the end. You will also be deeply flattered.

The Bad Stuff:
· The days are long.
· The tempo can be hectic. I tried to schedule myself breaks, but as the interview requests piled up I found myself doing a lot of running around.
· The weather was horrible (although that’s nobody’s fault).
· The tension of competition is inevitable.
· OPP-Other people’s problems (anxiety can kind of float around the wrong waiting room like a virus)
· If you are an introvert (or let’s just say not an extreme housing style extrovert) the socials will be a challenge
· Dress shoes. (When is it going to become ok for anyone but Justin Timberlake to wear a tie and sneakers and look formal?)

The Stuff you need:
· Stamina, although you need that for Res Life anyways
· Prepared answers
· Thank you notes! (Safe equation: 3X the number of interviews you have pre-arranged)
· A reason why you are interested in the school. “You contacted me” is not an appropriate response.
· Patience. Interviewers get backed up. People get lost or confused. The nervous people in the waiting room get loud and process externally.
· Headphones, a book, or something to help you get your head out of OPE for a minute.
· Good Friends! If I had had to do OPE by myself I would have crashed within the first day.

Without people to process, support, and encourage you the whole process would have been much scarier. If it’s at all possible to take people you like with you do it! Aside from splitting the cost of a hotel room, having a shoulder to lean on and someone to fix your tie/collar/hair makes the whole thing less painful.
On the whole, if you’re searching in Residence Life next year I strongly recommend it. Going in I got mixed messages from people, but the process is flexible enough that it is what you make of it. Taken solely as a chance to get insight and network though, OPE is invaluable. I can’t wait till next year, when I’m dying to be on the other side of the table asking candidates: “Tell me a little bit about yourself. Something that’s not on the resume. Oh, and spin this plate on your nose as you do it.”

On a related note: I have two on campuses and another employer just called to check my references. I really need to get to cracking on setting up some ACPA/NASPA stuff. I only have two interviews!

1 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger StudentAffairs.com said...

Hooray for a successful OPE! I have been waiting to read about your experience. I'm glad that is was an overall good experience for you and not too crazy! All of your comments made me super excited/super nervous for ACPA/NASPA!


PMCMHM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home